Thursday, June 12, 2014

day 2

I woke up early today and we made a brake for it. I was a little saddle sore but the riding was smooth.  A lot of little stops helped my sore muscles get warmed up and the pace was much faster. We hit Ohio about 9am and somehow managed to miss a bunch of rain on the way to Defiance. Currently I am sitting inside Kissner's restaurant where I had a swiss steak and a yulengaling. Already we have traveled 45 miles thanks to the cool weather and a nice tailwind. I was averaging about 14mph for the last hour or so. At this point I feel content to find a place to rest for another hour and continue this afternoon. I'm pretty sure that i'm still 100mi to my destination but I'm hopeful that I will break 100k and not have to rush the entire last day to Mansfield.
     On the way through Defiance I stopped at the library to try to complete the request for videos to the casting person for Naked and Afraid. The computers were slow and I couldn't get anything to work the way I needed so I just ended up talking to a few of the locals. Chris and I chilled outside by the Maumee river and he told me some interesting things about the area and history, then he pointed me out of town and I started cruising east. There was some road construction and a busy highway for a few miles so I changed my route to parallel the highway in the country. There was a great tail wind and nothing much to see, so I just kept pedaling until I found a backyard pond with someone outside mowing. He let me jump in, so long as I didn't drown, and Makai and I got a good bath.  I continued on my way for another hour or so until I spotted a bunch of water towers to the south. I made a turn and was disappointed to find a string of factories and no town. Several miles later I found the town of Lepsic, a burned out old farm town surrounded by trailer parks and factories. There are three restaurants in town; subway, and two pizza places but only one where I could get a beer. So I ate an entire pizza, drank a few Stroughs, and made my way to a park where I set up a hammock and passed out. At 3:30 am Makai woke me up barking. I already knew what was happening so I called out to the officer and told him "I know I'm not supposed to be here, is there anywhere you would rather me be right now?"  He sided with me and let me stay if I promised to leave early in the morning. It was a really cold night and Makai ended up in the hammock with me the rest of the night,  a small reward for being such a good dog

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's a long way!, that is fantastic, keep up the good work JD, fun reading your blog !

    ReplyDelete