Monday, February 17, 2014

Even boring weeks

I have failed to write anything for a couple of weeks, because I felt as if there was nothing important that happened. However, even boring weeks are spectacular when I remember where I am. So starting where I left off, I will detail the last weeks of my life that I didn't see as adventurous.
petting zoo
     Last Saturday Peter, Nakoa and I left the north tip of the island on a journey to the south point. Our destination was the petting zoo party, an annual event of talents compiled from the islands for a night of music and performance. It was the best electronic party I have been to in Hawaii. High vibes, beautiful people acting like animals, good DJ's, and good people.
Left to right: Garrett, Greg, and Jack climbing southpoint




  We arrived in Ka'u a few hours early so we hung out at the south point cliffs. When I saw how great the conditions were I had to put my climbing shoes on,  I soloed a few routes on the best cliffs I know of on this island. Upon topping out the first time I popped my head up when girl was being provoked over the edge. She nearly kicked me in the face and dropped me in the water 30' below. The next day after the party we returned to the cliffs for a morning baptism. Just what was needed after ten hours of dancing in the desert. A short walk off a cliff, a couple seconds of free fall and whoosh, refreshment. I got a couple more climbs just to avoid the sketchy ladder, then back in the car for the drive home.
     The next day Peter and I spent in the garden harvesting and transplanting. We collected papayas, Cuban red bananas, moringa leaf, mamaki, and some herbs. Then we took the goods we harvested along with some other local fare and headed to the beach for a gathering of friends. We watched the whales party during sunset and carried on the festivities around the kiawe fired grill. A lot more people showed up than we were expecting and the party split for the musicians to jam away from the calypso music that was on the boom box.
On Tuesday morning I awoke to very vivid dreams of Australia and a lot of my family members. The details are unimportant but the weird thing was that I was fully aware it was a dream and didn't alter it. I went to work in the morning but didn't feel like there was much to keep me occupied. I got a order in the mail for some bike equipment. A head light, tail light, gloves, a neon reflective vest, and anti monkey butt powder. I really only need a bike and some storage and I can start cruising around getting the rest of the stuff dialed in.

Getting out my frustrations at work
   Wednesday was a productive day at work, Cory and I tensioned and adjusted a couple of cables to make the ziplines run better.  I tore my first phone book in half with my bare hands.  I scared an x pro football player for the Giants, by planting a banana tree, and when he asked what it was I said "A memorial to that guy last week". There was a gathering after work to say farewell to a few employees as they leave the island in the next month. We all ate a ton of food, and took leftovers for lunch the next day.
     Thursday was uneventful so I left early to go to Kona and get my motorcycle legal. It took longer than I thought to get the turn signals to pass the safety, so I couldn't register it and had to stay at Jack and April's and wait for the morning. That afternoon I spent hanging at the Maka Productions gallery helping unwrap photos and talking about future endeavors. We talked about cameras and some necessary equipment for the summer. Josh and Eric both said Cannon G series would be worth my while.
   In the morning I made it to the DMV early and quickly processed my registration, cruising to work in time for my tour. I had a group of people that were fun but it was still an uneventful tour. After work someone asked what I was doing to Valentines and upon remembering that I didn't want to be alone went to the store to gather my friends; Deschutes Chainbreaker white IPA, and Haggen Daz. When I arrived home to enjoy independence there were friends there talking about the gathering that night. So I ditched the ice cream and beer and went to HIP AG (Hawaii Institute for Pacific Agriculture) for local organic hot chocolate and the company of a lot of beautiful people. I met a particularly amazing woman and left the party satisfied that I could be in the company of friends under the full moon.
    I ended the work week spacey, exhausted from boredom, and uninspired. I knew that I needed some real rest before the "Love Without End" party Saturday night. Peter, Josh, and I left after a nap and a taco dinner. Pete drove to Kona and we made it just in time to see the party start. The theme was a white party (clothes that is.) There was a lot of black light sensitive art featured, as well as dance performances.  We danced to a few good DJ's with a lot of good friends from Kona. The music went into the morning and our party continued afterwards to the honokohau koloko national historic park where we slept in the canoe hale right on the beach. It rained for a few hours in the morning but the grass shack was dry inside. We overstayed in the morning even though we knew we had to leave. The Park ranger found us sitting in the sand with our stuff around but not completely obvious we had been camping, and because we weren't causing trouble he let us go with a written warning. There was obvious frustration from the Hawaiian boys when Ranger Lawless said the US government owned the property and even the water, but they held their tongues. We were out of there immediately. Back home for some R and R.
    Today I'm supposed to be cleaning. Too much social interactions and not enough time at home over the last week has left the house in shambles. I'm going to work on the kitchen for the afternoon until the roommates come back from the garden with more food to process and we start all over again. It is wort the rewards. I only hardly ever go to the store anymore.
   Only a couple more days until I get my bike, I will let you know when I do.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment