Sunday, January 26, 2014

Dreams of Flight

I had a dream this morning. Just before the roosters started calling the sun up, I was building a tent platform on a mountain with some new friends. After the sunset I rode my bike and loaded bob trailer down the hill. The platform was my own, nestled into a little nook in the hills with a spectacular view. I think this could be Loudonville, Ohio; where I will spend a couple months working as a zipline guide at Tree Frog Canopy Adventures. As I awoke I tried to crawl back into the colorful scenery, but could not reach the place I had just been. I came to consciousness as the sun was shining its first rays into the sky, with a future hunger for bananas and coconut. Never before had I been hungry in a dream, but I realized that while on my trek I will not have access to any of the things that compose most of my diet. What will I eat if I can't pick wild bananas, macadamia nuts, and coconuts. I decided immediately that I would need a food dehydrator to prepare myself for the upcoming months, so I purchased a refurbished Excalibur 9 tray. I now know what I will now do with the 30 lbs of overripe bananas in my kitchen and the pile of rotting coconut flesh in my yard, I'll send them to Mom. I hope you have room in your pantry for a whole summers supply of dehydrated fruit and nuts. I will probably send some to the other relatives whom I expect to visit as well, so that I can retrieve them when I arrive.Please let me know via email  if you would like to stock up on fruit and help me resupply along the way.  I will throw in an extra bag as a storage fee.
     Along with the dehydrator I made another important purchase. Even though I know it is not sustainable, it is one of absolute necessity to begin this journey. A plane ticket. I recently learned that a jet burns about a gallon a second, that is about 50,000 gallons on my first flight from Hawaii to Seattle. I hope to make up a little of that by burning bananas and coconuts as fuel for the majority of my time in America. I will be leaving the Big Island on June 2 at 10:40pm on Alaska Airlines flight 876 and arriving in Chicago on June 3 at 2:25 pm via Alaska Airlines flight 28. This should put me at the airport in South Bend, Indiana at six or seven on the South Shore train. I will have my bike in a box, and a backpack. I have the creeping sensation of excitement as a visualize the same scenario I have been in multiple times, getting off the train with someone waiting to scoop me up and begin another epic adventure. Only this time the feeling is much greater; there is more to this trip than I have ever previously undertaken, more options, more open ends, more miles, more uncertainty and more alone time. Even with all the planning and ideas in this head right now the unknowns are what I live for.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very much leaving me hungry for more (and I'm not talking banana's!). Well written JD!

    ReplyDelete